Thursday, June 18, 2009

Kitty Came Home

I will tell you straight out, I do not like representations of cats. No paintings, note cards, sculpture, wind socks, anything that looks like a cat and isn't. I really like the real thing. I like the living, breathing, purring, talking, moving cat. I think that I have offended more than one of my friends when I didn't go into ecstasy over some sculpture or windsock. It is just how I am.

Well, that said, I was at a friend of mine's house about ten years ago and I saw this carving. I flipped over it. I started heavy breathing ( a bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea). She told me that she had found it at a yard sale. Lucky her. Then she said that she paid .50 for it. Lucky her. I complimented her on her taste and her luck. Sometime later this friend came to my door carefully carrying this little bundle. In her arms was this carving. My friend told me that the kitten needed a better home. I opened up my arms and took the little baby and she has been treasured ever since.

I don't know how old she is or who carved her. But to me, it is obvious someone "channeled" cat spirit because I look at this baby and I see the essence of cat.

Kitty measures 6" x 6" x 3 1/2". She is made out of wood. Probably Fir.


1 comment:

Phyllis said...

I agree. It really does have the essence and spirit of the cat. How sweet that your friend gave you this. She must have known how you felt. You simply can't put a price tag on a treasure like this.

I think this is so interesting that you don't usually like any other cats but the real ones. I do like paintings and sculpture and images as long as they are true to life images. I don't like anything cartoonish. Cats are simply too refined, elegant, and lovely to be represented in this way. I am so glad you are such a cat lover. We need more people in the world like you!