Monday, July 6, 2009

The Quandary of Decisions

This three day weekend, I have listened to a book on tape while I was sewing. This is a photo of my ipod and a little speaker deal that I had in the shop. I find wearing headsets or ear buds extremely painful after about 20 minutes. And this way, with the speaker, I can move around without the cords catching on anything. I am listening to "How to Make a Decision" by Jonah Lehrer. It is terrific and interesting and I am on my second time through. Now, what I find funny about the weekend sewing and the book on tape is that I have a hard time coming to decisions. I go this way and that way and finally I just wait till the stone hits the bottom of my stomach. Then I move. But the "why" is what this book addresses. Truly fascinating to one who deals with this "situation" and has difficulties.
This is where I came to when I needed to make a decision. What to do next? "Do I sew in the lining and then attach the strap outside or should it go inside". But the other voice in my head said "Yes, but if you do either of these moves and then want to change it, you may not be able to go back and fix it". So, I was at a stalemate. Yikes

Here I where I have come to a decision on how I was to proceed. I had the red Tweed for the the outside of the purse and the navy blue Velvet lining for the inside. But before I could go any further, I had to decide on the strap. That was the problem. I have this beautiful red leather piece but I only have enough for the strap and I can't decide how to make the strap.


This was the next decision. The stopping point. The point where I needed to construct in my mind the different ways it could be done. In a nutshell, I was doing exactly what the book addresses....I was thinking too much.
However, to end on a high note, overnight, while I was asleep, I came to a conclusion and did proceed.
But that will be the next chapter!
And listening to books on tape is wonderful fun, while sewing.


1 comment:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I sure know the feeling of making or not making decisions.All tied up for me with not wanting to make a mistake or not being able to fix a bad decision. Oh well, eventually a decision is made and then what is next? ha
I have passed the title of your book on to someone who says she is struggling with decisions as well.