Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I Rely on the "Bounty" of Strangers

Aren't these beautiful? They taste as good as they look! I did not grow them but a friend, who grew up on a farm in Nebraska, did. He told me of his secret. In the fall, he covered up his vegetable plot with all the leaves he could collect. He said that he had over 6 inches of leaves. In the spring, he parted only enough of the leaves to plant the tomato seedlings. He does well with tomatoes.
I, on the other hand, have been a dismal failure with tomatoes. It appears that the ground needs to be re-invested every year with lots of manure or compost. I thought that I had done that but evidently not enough. They would start to grow but something would get them every time. And year by year the crop would get smaller and smaller.
So (thanks to Hollywood and Blanche Dubois) I rely on the kindness of strangers.

1 comment:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

They are beauties! I love thin sliced with salt....yummmmm!