Sunday, April 12, 2009

Forever a Part of Me

I went up to the Bay Area on my annual commemorative Birthday visit for my niece. To make it seem special, we go to San Francisco, were we both have so many memories. We went to Golden Gate Park. The Museum of Natural History had recently opened (November 2008) after being remodeled. We arrived shortly after the opening of 11:00 AM. I did not think that after all this time that we would have a problem to get admittance. However, the tickets had been sold out for the total day. So, we crossed the Band Stand plaza and went to the De Young Fine Arts Museum. Hardly a second choice. That place is magnificent. We found the bookstore and browsed and one of the docents told us about their sister museum (California Legion of Honor) http://www.famsf.org/legion/, having an exhibit on Faberge, Tiffany, and Lalique.

And, once again the magic happened. We ended at the right place and at the right time. The exhibit was literally breath taking. There was a stain glass window by Faberge that I would have gladly remodeled my whole house in order to live looking at it every day. It was about four by two feet. It had four Magnolia blossoms and leaves. It was as if you were looking up through the tree. Small specks of the sky peeked though. The thickness of the glass varied, the thickness of the lead varied. You could smell the fragrance and feel the thickness of the blossoms. For me, it was the reason for the whole exhibit. There were a few of the fabulous Faberge Russian eggsand a lot of other miniatures.

I had a truly wonderful day.




2 comments:

patrice said...

I had a wonderful time too!
xo

Phyllis said...

I am glad you had such a wonderful time. I loved looking at the photos.