Friday, October 9, 2009

Where the Attraction Began.......

When I was around ten, I became aware of a beaded bag (very much like the one in the lower left corner) that my Mother had in a drawer. My Mother did not value "old" objects very much, so it was not treasured. Then I got my hands on it and I could not get enough of touching, holding, opening and generally trying to figure out why it was so beautiful. It was a beaded bag with the background black and the flowers were pansies. It had all the magic that something lovely could posess. I used it as a prop for my Halloween costume, I was a dancer and I would swing the bag. We moved shortly after that and I have no idea what became of it. I have thought of that bag and I now realize that that is why I enjoy purses so much. They represent to me something lovely that you can carry around all day and enjoy - Portable Treasures.
These bags are from the 1920's and are machine made. Arn't they lovely?

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

I absolutely love bags like these. I have collected a few because they are just heaven to touch and look at. I consider them mini works of art.

I wonder what happened to that bag. Perhaps your mother threw it away if she did not value it. I think this happens more often than not.

My mother used to use a quilt my grandmother had all hand stitched as a blanket for the beach. I think about this now as a loss, but these things happen, don't they?

patrice said...

Gosh, wish it was still around!
Maybe you swung it a little too gingerly...