Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Favorite Christmas Card




Since we are now officially in the Christmas season, I will break out in Julie Andrew's elegant rendition of "These Are a Few of Favorite Things".
This is my "all time" favorite Christmas card. My Mother was a very good artist. She could pick up a brush and just wow the socks off a person, especially me.

One Christmas, my father and I prepared these pieces of wood for about 15 special people. My Mother painted them. Then I sprayed them with clear varnish and assembled them. It was definitely a group project but it still remains that my father and I were only the working elves.

Because I was there, I got to choose what I consider the best and this is it. I think that all babies need to be a little plumb, just like my baby was. And this one personified what I think babies should be and I loved it. I do not put it away after Christmas but enjoy it all year long. This was painted by my Mother about 35 years ago and it still remains lovely in my eyes.

3 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Lovely, I actually began humming the song!

Phyllis said...

You have so many artists in your family, yourself included. Your mother was amazing. How proud you must have been and what a special keepsake to hold on to and pass along to your grandchildren.

beadbabe49 said...

What a labor of love that was and what a treasure for you, in both the card itself and the memories as well!