Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Hoodie

The last time that my grandchildren were here, I made a nightgown for Lucy. I had a lot of fun doing it and the reception of it was terrific. Lucy loved it. It was at this time, I realized that I hadn't made anything for Hollis in a long time. And I certainly didn't want him to think I played favorites.
The clue for me was he was wearing a jacket of Lucy's. I asked him if he wanted me to make him his own jacket. And of course, he said yes.
When I went to FIDM last weekend I found this really wonderful corduroy. It was very soft and supple. but it wouldn't be warm enough for winter. I needed to insulate it for him.
When I make anything I like to challenge myself, so I will have fun making it. This time I said to myself "See if you can make this jacket without buying anything". The lining for the "hoodie" is a beige fabric from years ago, which is like velvet but an acrylic. I am making the insulated lining with a Snuggley that was given to me and the pumpkin lining fabric was in my "stores". I am quilting the two together. The separating zipper is from "stores".
I had the pattern from when I made Lucy a jacket.

If I didn't do the quilting for the lining, the project would be a lot shorter in time.

But I wouldn't have enjoyed myself as much as I am now!

1 comment:

patrice said...

It's a little embarrassing to admit this, and I know you made me plenty of clothes when I was a child, but I still find myself getting a little jealous when you make clothes for others.
xo
P-