Monday, May 9, 2011

Hollis and the Main Librarian

This is Hollis. He is missing his two front teeth. He has an adorable lisp. All that aside, he is very inquisitive. He is the type of child that you might want to put a leash on just to keep your sanity.
Saturday they came to my house and we were going to have "quality" time together. Among the other places we went to, we went to the library to collect videos that they would watch. Just as you walk into the library there is a large table with used books to buy. We all stopped to look and see if we could find treasures. Lucy and I were going through every book and my attention had a glitch and dropped out for a second. I looked up and I could not see Hollis. This is not that big of a library, so I started to panic. I asked Lucy if she knew where Hollis was. No!.
Now I really had to go into action mode.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw the main Librarian walking toward her information desk. She had a Major scowl on her face. I could not see behind her desk because she has two (2) computers there. In not so quiet of a voice she said "Where is your mother?" I rushed over there and lo! and behold! there was Hollis trying to get on the Lego site to play a game. I apologize and pulled Hollis away. Gave him and urgent talking to and then he went to give her a mumbled an apology. Me, poking him in the back, "Louder"!. " I'm sorry". Then the main Librarian became friendly and asked if this was my grandson? "Yes, he really likes computers", I mumbled.
What is it about Libraries and head Librarians that make me feel humble. Is it all the late books that I returned as a child? Or is it the head Librarians telling my mother and grandmother that I had late books still out?
Oh, my guilty conscious!

No comments: