Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Zig Zag Afghan



I made this bag to take with me on a trip to see my niece in Alameda.  I needed a new fresh look.  Plus I needed a bag large enough to carry all the different things that I like to travel with, especially a book.
I found a "felted" Afghan (it is all wool) last year and knew immediately that I would be using this find for my own purse.  I loved the electric feeling and the zig zag end of the Afghan and knew that I would integrate it into the purse.  I washed it again in hot water and dried it in a hot dryer and the blanket shank once again.  I then began the purse.  I made a channel at the top of the purse.  I put a double layer of elastic in the channel and attached leather to the elastic.  I used my favorite strap to carry the purse.  The lining is a bright Satin and I put two pockets to hold keys and pens and glasses.  The purse was a successful traveler, holding all the needed papers and my book!

2 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Excellent in all ways! It sounds like a perfect fit and the best traveling companion ever. I once crocheted the zig zag pattern afghan for my sons...one red and blue and the other blue and red...both lost in the wind but I enjoyed the crochet type meditation. It was in the doing that I enjoyed so much.

Katherine said...

Perfect! What a lovely, unique and useful bag, Pat. You're so clever and you know how much I love repurposing projects.
Well done!

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!